Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Apr 1998 10:40:11 -0700
From:         Ray Hunnam <hunnam@PNC.COM.AU>
Subject:      Re: CD, difficulty reviewing archives. (lite VW content)
Comments: To: GMBulley <GMBulley@AOL.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hay you guys

The archives are 91 meg. CD's are good for what 600 meg. Lets not waste our time culling. The lot will fit on and then the individual can decide for himself just what he wants.

Our biggest hurdle seems to be the copyright debate that has sprung up and the question of profits from the sale.

For mine part I believe that seeing the knowledge is posted for the benefit of the list then surely it stands to reason that you waiver ownership, or more importantly copyright to that knowledge. Lets be honest if you didn't want to let the knowledge go, why post it in the first place.

I can appreciate the counter argument of this ( " well when we posted the knowledge they weren't going to put it on CD and sell it . ) And this argument has some merit but lets not forget where these profits are going. They are not, we are told, going into some persons pocket. (excuse shouting) The profits are going into maintaining and maybe expanding the equiptment used by the list. Surely this puts a different perspective on the debate.

We all know from experience what can happen when the computers go down on us. No sexual inference meant. They have to be fixed, replaced, upgraded etc. It costs money, where do you get it ? Begging ! or from revenue generated by the list.

Ladies and Gentlemen The choice rests with us. All I feel we should do is choose wisely.

Ray Hunnam A conceptual thinker.

PS. Australia is in drought. The state of NSW is over 90% drought effected. Send us your rain.

GMBulley wrote:

> listees-- > > jskousen has a point. There's alot of non-technical stuff in the archive. > However: > > I am working this issue right now in my professional life: helping a global > company refine their "knowledge management"; how they accumulate, refine, > distribute, and re-use ideas, processes, and knowledge. Similar to our list. > > One of the substantial hurdles my client faces (as do WE with this CD!) is > "subject matter expert review of accumulated knowledge". e.g. > > 1. How do we, as a group, decide someone is a "best mechanic"? > > 2. How do we incent/insprire these choosen folks to review reams and reams of > contributions? > > 3. What criterion will they use to cull the knowledge? i.e. what is our goal > for this CD: just pure info, info and judgement, opinion, stories, hints, > ponderings, etc. > > My client has some of the best minds in HR and Organizational Development > scratching their heads on these questions. I wish I could help point our CD > effort in the right direction on this, but I am just learning these lessons. > > I've never seen the list as a place simply for straight tech answers, and hope > that the stories, ruminations, flame, and cheer of my fellow VWers are not > eliminated from any off-line collection. > > gmbulley > cary, nc > Prov.17:22

[text/html]