Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Apr 1998 19:51:55 -0800
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      report on renewing propane system
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

This past week I renewed (I love this British term) the propane system on my 87 Westfalia. I had been occasionally smelling propane outside of the van and suspected a propane leak. Here's what I did:

Replaced main POL valve ($38) Replaced regulator ($22) Rebuilt auto-stop valve ($12)

In addition, I cleaned the tank, touched up a couple of minor rust spots with paint and applied a rubberized undercoating to the bottom and ends of the tank (without covering the certification/data plate). This will prevent rocks from chipping the paint off the tank so easily.

I purchased the POL valve and a rebuild kit for the auto-stop valve from Euro-American RV (formerly Delta 6), the original distributer of much of the camping hardware for Westfalias. The rebuild kit consists of several rubber O-rings, some special lubricant for the piston, a fine-mesh screen for the fill opening, and detailed instructions. I think you can get the POL valve (made by Sherwood) and regulator (made by Marshall) from any RV supply or propane equipment dealer. If you replace your regulator, be sure to get a double-stage regulator. I replaced a single-stage regulator that the previous owner had installed.

After getting everything back together and back on the van (and checking for leaks of course), I have noticed a couple differences from how the system behaved previously:

1. The auto-stop valve didn't spew propane into the air when filling as it did previously. Could have been the way the attendant filled it, but the auto-stop valve seemed to work better. When tank was full (approx 2.6 gallons), it simply quit accepting propane. No spew.

2. When I turned on the main valve, no propane escaped. Used to always make a big hiss and release a puff of propane. Now it just goes psssst. No propane smell. I think maybe the old regulator was hosed.

So now hopefully, I won't be consumed in a fireball as I sleep.

Mark McCulley 87 syncro Westfalia