Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Apr 1998 22:57:28 EDT
From:         KENWILFY <KENWILFY@AOL.COM>
Subject:      '91 Carat back together again
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

When we last saw our van it was ripped inside out. Then I grabbed up all the internals and put them back in the van, helter skelter, to keep them out of the weather over night. So today we decided to go with a magnet like the kind that holds cabinets shut to hold my table down instead of another DZUS locking mechanism that had failed and caused us to rip the whole van apart in the first place. (DZUS makes aircraft fastners and I was surprized to see that this latch was a DZUS product. I thought it would be a VW special item.) So we cut a little corner out of the left bottom of the foam cushing in the recess where the table support goes. Then my father put the magnetic catch on a small piece of plywood and fastened the thing down with wood screws through the plywood into the plastic wall. It was very solid and we measured and placed the piece of metal that the magnet uses to hold the table down in its proper place on the bottom of the table. When we were finished the table looks just like it did before we started except now I can hit it with my hand and it will come away from the wall and be ready to use. I drove the van and since the magnet is pretty strong it held the table in place perfectly with no rattles or anything. I never have to worry about that fastener going bad again and having to disembowl my Van again. Just thought I would share this in case someone else should have a similar problem in the future. Ken Wilford John 3:16 PS If that thing gets stuck you must remove the wall to get it unstuck. If you try to pull on it, eventually you will wind up breaking the wall.