Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Apr 1998 06:28:40 -0800
From:         "CARVER, JEFFREY D" <Jeffrey.Carver@AEROJET.COM>
Subject:      Wet Floor may not be water, break fluid removal
Comments: To: Vanagon <VANAGON@VANAGON.COM>,
          "cb541@CLEVELAND.FREENET.EDU" <cb541@CLEVELAND.FREENET.EDU>

Another thing to check is a leaky brake or clutch master cylinder or fluid reservoir or plumbing. The PO of my non-running '80 never figured out why the flooring was wet under the driver's feet. It was brake fluid.

Under the carpet is the material referred to. The material looks like pressed wood, but is actually a very compact dense foam material. It can be removed intact for cleaning, though once brake fluid has soaked in there, it's doesn't want to come out. This flooring is surprisingly flexible.

Good opportunity to check and deal with floor rust.

Thorough rinsing of the carpet and flooring with water will get rid of the brake fluid. A self service car wash would be the best bet. One with the big clips to hang them on the wall and power wash them. Brake fluid mixes with water, and with soap to aid it, the fluid will come out. Mixing brake fluid with water (and air) produces an almost soaplike foaming. When the foaming stops, the brake fluid is gone (test by feeling with fingers, brake fluid feels different than water or soap) rub fingers together to test.

It'll take a few days in the sun to dry all this out.

- Jeff Iwanna21/23windowsunroofDeluxewalkthru! to be used for daily driving '80 Westi (2) BOTH FOR SALE '66 Bus, Kombi FOR SALE '22 Piano, upright Kohler & Cambell FOR SALE '67 Sqbk '64 Ford Crewcab '87 Subaru 4WD '97 Nissan Quest Grass Valley, California, USA Jeffrey.Carver@Aerojet.com - - - - - - - - -snip - - - - - - - - And one more thing. I was travelling in rain most of the time. My front floorboards were always wet under the rubber foot pads. I noticed once that the front floorboards are made of wood. I suspect these boards aren't sealed properly and I'm getting water splashed up thru the cracks or something and getting wet carpet up front. All above is preliminary, possibly incorrect, and a good reading of Bently and examination of the under side of the front floorboards would help verify/unverify what I'm saying.