Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Apr 1998 10:16:16 -0500
From:         MICHAEL G BENTHIN <TVCR50A@PRODIGY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Copyrights
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

(I'm sending this to Bob Hoover, the Type2 list, and coyote@vanagon.com, plus vanagon list:, since it touches on what can happen to what we write to the list:) I can see both sides of the issue Bob Hoover brought up regarding copyrights to our list posts- yes, a private letter to me from Bill Clinton I can publish at will, because it is MINE. But let's say Clinton writes to the editor of a newspaper- they publish it.......I assume I can't publish that letter in my biography of Clinton without their permission, even though they printed it for all? Clinton can't sue me, because he gave it to the paper; it is theirs. And they have a right to a fee or cut of profits of such a biography? An e-mail list may seem harder to define- I can see Coyote's side-what comes to my PRIVATE e-mailbox I can diseminate posts to me at will? Thus if it comes from a listserver as private mail to me, I could claim I can make it public as I see fit? Can a listserver claim it comes to him FIRST, privately, and thus he owns it (like the newspaper editor)? The implication is that if you send it to a list, you are giving it to the server to make it public, including it being archived to a web site? However, I can see not having the right to access a (public) web archive and publish contents NOT sent to me personally, implying ownership of that information by the server/archiver? Indeed, the listowners are saying that now for their received posts and compiled web material-( will they next "charge" for access to the site info?). Technically, then, the listserver is sending out private mail to HIM/HER, and owns those posts? Couldn't they then publish those posts? By publish I mean SELL copies, make profit- is that not what copyright protects? Now, if someone wants wants to SELL a CD of list posts, does it matter if they are a listee or a listserver? It should have been spelled out in list subscription instructions whether all sent to the listerver is indeed HIS to do with as seen fit. I can see the end of meaningful posts or even a list here....Hoover asking Coyote to delete his posts from publication is within his rights, if Coyote were just another list member. But if Coyote is the listserver, he could claim he received PRIVATE posts to him and can do what he wants with them? Two examples come to mind- I play in a band that plays public concerts. If it is a non-profit organization, we can play copyrighted music if we sell no tickets, but we can ask for "donations" to buying more music and paying the conductor. When I posted a thread "You have ADD when......" to the ADD BB on Compuserve, they (C-serve) elected to include it in a published book on ADD, but DID ask me via e-mail ahead of time, and offered a free copy of the book to me. This is what Coyote should have done for all of us from Hoover's interpretation. I presume the copyright law has/will address such internet problems. If Coyote plans to make NO profit but disseminate list posts at cost to other list members, or donate proceeds to maintaining the list, then I am not sure what Hoover's rights are in stopping him. "Maintaining the list" could include a salary to the server. Since the list is for private subscribers, they could vote on such an issue? . It seems that Hoover's spirit is not to have others profit by his "donated" wisdom.....and from that viewpoint we all have the right to tell Coyote to stop or sue for our cut of profit if we are quoted! MB

__ | Mike Benthin _______/__\| 63 camper conversion /=__==__===_=\ 75 bus VW bus nut 78 Camper -T-|E[__][__]|[_]\\ 77 Westy in NJ all over US 0 | _ | `|__ |} (77 Westy rusto) =-(_)-----(_)'--= (71 Westy rusto)

DISTRIBUTION LIST Veeduber@aol.com coyote@vanagon.com type2@bigkitty.azaccess.com