Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Apr 1998 11:32:00 EDT
From:         Thing Guy <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Copyrights - my take on it
Comments: To: TVCR50A@PRODIGY.COM, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I had asked the list if any lawyers wanted to step forward and give their opinions regarding the copyright issues and the CD copy of the archives.

No one has, so I took it upon myself to do a little research via the internet. This is my opinion only, and I am not going to give specific references or examples. Do your own search and reading and draw you own conclusions. I have studied media law, but long before the internet was around. This is still a very gray area concerning "fair use" on the internet, but my take on this is that the CD is not a good idea unless you can get everyone's permission who has ever posted.

Now under "fair use" you can make a copy of the archives to use for yourself without any legal problems as long as you do not profit from it. Even the mass distribution of copies would be legal, except if you were to undermine or damage someone by doing so. For example, if Bob Hoover were to publish his book, and sell copies, we would be undermining him if we were to mass produce copies of his work even if we were not making money off of it. The same thing goes for copying and distributing copyrighted music.

I had thought that an easy way around this issue would be to make the archives easily downloadable, so that we could all make our own copies. This seems to be a very gray area, and goes to what I said earlier, we could be undermining Bob Hoover's book sales by doing so.

I think that the list should honor Bob's request to remove his sermons from the archive, although it appears that as long as we maintain them in their original form and maintain his copyright, we could keep them available legally even without his permission, if he provided them with the full knowledge that they would be archived, and available for viewing by the public. (my nonlegal opinion)

I think that any effort to copy the list archives needs to be done off the list, and without the assistance of the list administrators.

Here is a link to some interesting internet copyright information:

<A HREF="http://pilot.msu.edu/user/kimyong2/copy.htm">Copyright and Internet: Social Claims and GoverÉ</A> or, http://pilot.msu.edu/user/kimyong2/copy.htm

Sorry to be so long-winded on this. This is the last I will post on this to the list, but would be happy to discuss further via p-mail.

Steve