Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Apr 1998 12:12:41 -0400
From:         Donald Baxter <dbax@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: demographics of Vanagon.com
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

I am 40, single, gay man living in Atlanta, Georgia and I got my 1985 Vanagon used 3 1/2 years ago. It seems like yesterday, and I never thought that the near junker that I paid $2,250 for with 124,000 miles would still be rolling around (albeit with a new engine) now at 182,000 miles now.

I had a 1971 Bus, Kansas Beige when I left Atlanta, Georgia, to go off to the University of Kansas in 1977. I was also the psuedo-hippy type; one of those people that Spiro Agnew would have referred to as a "nattering nabob of negativity" (he did have a way with words, didn't he?) I had really long hair, I was a junior veteran of the McGovern campaign; at least looked like I should have been driving a VW Bus. I have always disliked the Grateful Dead, however! :-) Due to metal fatigue in the case (it would not hold heads to the case, no matter what was done) and lack of funds I had to sell it to a deserving VW dealership, carefully warming the engine up to conceal the exhaust gas leaking from the heads before I took it to buy an equally reliable used 1975 Rabbit. At the time I was glad to get rid of the bus, and the Rabbit was fun, but over the years I missed the bus.

I was driving a 1992 VW Passat Variant (nice car) when I was diagnosed with a potentially fatal disease in late 1993. For some reason, the first major thing that I did was go searching for an older Vanagon. I suppose that I figured if I wanted another bus I had better get one soon. I kept the Passat for almost a year after getting my van, but I hardly ever drove it anymore. I sold the Passat to a couple that read my ad on the internet. These folks lived in Maynard, Mass., and were willing to meet me halfway to pick up the car. We met in Washington, DC, and I flew home to use the Vanagon as my daily driver.

I've had some trying times with the Van mechanically, keeping it running, learning it's arcane little mechanical secrets. I remember that Joel called me on the phone and helped me though my first coolant flush, fill and bleed. Inevitably, the heads began leaking. I decided to get the whole engine replacement from VW and don't regret the money I spent. I have had very few problems with the van since. It looks like hell, but it runs great and is now very reliable.

I know I can't keep this thing forever, the parts will get too scarce or too expensive and this will happen in the not too distant future. I keep driving and enjoying it despite the fact that the prognosis for my illness has changed quite a bit. It looks like I am going to live. My partner hates the van, but it moves his stuff around enough that he lives with the thing well enough. He won't drive it for fear of learning how to drive a manual transmission (he's afraid at 5' 4" that he might not be able to reach the pedals.) David sticks to driving his 1996 Jetta :-)

I figure in a couple of years if the health holds, I'll get another Passat Wagon, perhaps one of the new TurboDiesel ones. I'll hang on to the Vanagon even if I just use it as a planter in the back yard. I need a new storage shed anyway.

Me and my van can be seen at www.mindspring.com/~dbax (the never finished web page)

_________________________________________________________ Donald Baxter dbax@mindspring.com (home) 404 872 0351 donald.a.baxter@cpmx.saic.com (work) 770 729 3938 x 3061 dab1@jhk.com (alternate)