Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Apr 1998 13:30:28 EDT
From:         Chrisw7971 <Chrisw7971@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Death to step rust!! AKA that problem with the footwells
Comments: To: hajasz@VISI.NET, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Steve,

I have the same problem with my 87 Syncro. It started when I noticed water spurting up from the right side footwell when I drove through big puddles. this sparked me to peel back the unsecure rubber mat which revealed a bit of rust (not that much). My main problem was and is that the rubber mat was not secureing down on the frame allowing water to spurt up from the road through the little holes . I tore off the rubber mat with the intention of removeing the rust -- primer -- paint -- and reseal the rubber mat. So i did the same with the other mat (left side) and there was more rust there. So I did pretty much what you said you did (or are doing), I sanded down the area with 50 grade automotive sand pape and then used 400 grade, then I used napa rust remover/sealent. It took 24 hours to dry. Then the primer and then paint. It looks good but I haven't put the mats back on because they are the main cause/problem I believe. Being that the seals created by there attachments to the footwell are bad. So I need to order some new mats. When I get the mats I am going to smear silicone all over the bottoms and around the seal before I put them in the footwells. Hopefully that will nip the rust problem in the butt. Chris Wright 87 Syncro GL