Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Apr 1998 03:35:41 -0400
From:         Mark Rokus <marokus@VOYAGER.NET>
Subject:      Re: J.B. Weld Head Repair (Bill Knight)
Comments: To: Austin <austins@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Austin wrote:

> At 02:01 AM 4/11/98 -0400, you wrote: > > > >I just can't stand it without a reply.... My 84 leaked when I bought it with > >109,000 on it. I am fully capable of welding and refinishing the surface > but I > >like to have a life too and didn't want to go through the hassle. Before > I even > >knew about the web group I decided to try J B Weld. IF you prepare the > surface > >and get the existing corrosion out, the repair seems to last indefinitely. > > Out of curiosity, Mark, did you 'jbweld' (new Vanagon Verb) only the > pits/holes, or did you leave a thin/flat skin over the whole surface? > > Austin

When I performed the JBWeld surgery, I didn't have convenient access to a sandblaster so I dug out all of the corrosion with a dental pick and generally gave the surface a "tooth" with a ScotchBrite pad. After I had completely cleaned each head with solvent, I applied the epoxy to the entire water surface and smoothed it and waited for it to cure. I have heard others mention that they used cellophane to do this but I did not. After a couple of days of cure time, I attacked them with a file for the corse removal and then when I saw that I was getting close to the original metal, I used a flat surface (a pane of glass works in a pinch) and wet sanded with ~ 220 grit sandpaper. I quit when all that was left was the epoxy filling the voids. I did use the approved sealant that came with the gasket set and have yet to see a problem. Hope this helps. Mark