Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Apr 1998 00:01:09 EDT
From:         SBate82659 <SBate82659@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Westy/Campmobile Cabinets & Electric Water Pumps
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Vanagoneers;

I have an '87 Vanagon GL which I have been slowly turning into a pseudo- weekender. I have installed a rear seat that folds down into a bed and have been looking for a cabinet that I could replace the center 2-person seat with for camping. On this weekend's tour of junkyards I found 2 cabinets from a camper van/bus that I think will work great. They were already removed from the vehicle so I have no idea exactly what year or model they came out of. Two stickers on the icebox cabinet say "Campmobile" and "Westfallia" (with a white Stallion in the center). Problem is, I'm missing a few parts and I think that I may have ruined another.

One of the cabinets has a sink, water storage tank, and electric water pump. It's back is contoured to fit against the driver's-side wall. The missing part is the bottom cabinet door which measures approx. 19 7/8" wide by 15 1/2" tall, has square corners with dark woodgrain formica covering and hinges on the right as facing the cabinet. The handle/latch mounts to the outside of the door and is a black plastic affair that has a cut-out for your fingers and a thumb push to unlatch the door. Anyone have one of these doors with latch for sale? The cabinet has half of the hinges so a door with the other half should slip right on.

Second problem is the electric water pump. I tried running it (with water in it of course) and noticed it was leaking from the pressure switch attached to the pump discharge. In an attempt to root-out the offending part, I dissassembled the pressure switch and found the rubber seal/diaphram was dry-rotten and cracked. Anyone know where I might get one or will the entire pump have to be replaced? Second question: is it possible to retrofit a manual pump/faucet to this cabinet? If so, does anyone have one of THESE for sale?

Also inside the pump I noticed a bunch of white, flakey stuff that kinda looked like dried paint. It was flaking off of the the entire inside of the pump and causing the gears to sieze so I removed as much of it as I could. What is this stuff? Looks like it might be teflon and I'm afraid I may have just ruined what was left of the electric water pump.

Thanks in advace for your help.

Sam Bateman Fork Union, VA '87 Vanagon GL