Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Apr 1998 11:42:19 -0400
From:         Erik O <koesel@UAKRON.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Copyrights
Comments: To: "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

According to Ron, anything sent to the Vanagon list belongs to > him(!).

> -Bob Hoover

I think Ron has been very clear own who owns the archives, well at least very clear that he DOES NOT own them. Cut out the subtle word plays.

I really don't want to get in to the legalities of the new Intellectual Property laws and how they apply to this situation. I do want to remind you that these laws are only as strong as the decisions made in the courts. If your upstream provider was stealing your email you were sending to your publisher you could sue them. That was one of the things covered by the 'No Electronic Theft' Act. The legislature needed to define some of the mechanism of this new medium. Keep in mind the courts are very cautious on deciding Internet issues. When you through in the concept of a public forum, where ideas are exchanged freely and developed by many people, it's a different game.

I just think people on this list are rather offended over all the fuss. All we wanted to do is to raise some list funds ($10 per CD) by providing listembers copies of the archives to use for themselves off-line. Now we have this huge feud over copyrights and book deals. I guess that's what this community is all about.

-- _______________________ Erik O Akron, Oh 82 GTI Westfalia http://ebyte.com/gl http://ebyte.com/cam