Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Apr 1998 08:58:13 -0700
From:         Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Demographics
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi volks;

Here's some info on me. Looks like I'm something of an anomaly.

My name is Sam; I'm 23 and a college student, looking to go to grad school for the killer double masters and the mythical job openings it is rumored to get me. Majoring in Music and minoring in English. For the M.A.'s I will minor in Business for one, Philosophy or 20th Century Lit for the other. Work at an archives library; totally irrelevant to my studies but love the job. More intellectually stimulating than cooking french fries...

My dad had an old baywindow that I grew up in; after he had to lose it (front torsion bar went; this was in the early '80s when these parts were outta-sight expensive) I missed the bus so badly that I just had to have my own, helping aircooled VW-owning friends in the interim. Wound up with my '84 that is currently in dry dock for some electrical work. Originally wanted a loaf (hell, a splittie would have been nice) but was sold on the Vanagon when I drove it. No, I don't have 96,853 VWs in my garage, sorry. I do have friends who do, though. Does that make me a poser?

It seems that I'm another non-hippie on this list- I'm more of a punk, or to be more accurate, post-punk. Yes, I do play guitar and sing, in a post-punk band called Friction. Our freebie GeoCities web page is currently under construction and metamorphosis (lineup change, ick); if you're curious, the URL is in my full signature that I never use for list postings. Musical tastes range from Parker to Wayne Shorter- type jazz to classical such as Debussy, Stravinsky, and Bartok, to rock. As for rock, it's mostly punk and OLD-SCHOOL hardcore (fuck metalcore; it sucks) as well as emo bands, indie rock, and shoegazer/sadcore bands such as Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins, Chapterhouse, etc. I do listen to new bands; mostly stuff from Superchunk to Idaho to Catherine Wheel, etc. And of course, lots of post punk. Wanna trade tapes?

Religion/politics? I'm a liberal, in most all regards. I'm a cultural and ethical relativist, which is a result of having to either deal with or mediate in ethical disputes from many different value systems. I'm not a harcore straight-edge vegan-punk or anything like that, who feels that everyone with a view other than mine should be chastised. However, I am always open to debating my views with people- I feel it's healthy for people on both sides of an argument to see the other side of the coin. I feel that Jesus and Buddha are very real religious avatars, but I have just about had it with the vile rotting corpse of organized religion, which to me is just another collective political organization bent on trying to micro-manage people's lives and gain political power. If you don't agree, I still think that's cool- your choice is your choice, and if you have a valid argument, I'm more than willing to listen to you..

Comments on the list: I love having a discussion group around to have questions answered, ideas bounced around, and experiences shared. As I can muster some cash, I'm gonna donate some. However, the flaming does tend to get a bit personal- not cool. The Type2 list is a bit more mellow. I suppose they've got all the hippies- but then again, you are not what you wear or drive.

If you're around Charleston give me a shout and we'll go have a beer or three. Thanks for this thread; I've learned alot about you guys and gals.

Best regards, Sam == "Punk's not dead (it just sucks right now)"

...quit whining... http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6507