Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Apr 1998 08:40:33 -0400
From:         Scot Douglas <sdoug@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Scale Model Busses
Comments: To: "CARVER, JEFFREY D" <Jeffrey.Carver@AEROJET.COM>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

CARVER, JEFFREY D wrote:

> While cruising around looking for the next model to build (sounds > a lot like owning a real VW bus) I found a 'California Roller' model > from Revell.

I have a Revel kit that I found in an antique store:

Deluxe Volkswagen Station Wagon Think smaller-1/25th scale Build it-it's buggy!

It's a 23 window bus kit with a 1967 copyright.

When I found it, it had been painted a 1960's-early 70's metallic gold, but hadn't been put together yet. Over the years before I bought it some pieces were lost and some were broken. I painted it white on top and lt. blue on the bottom. I haven't finished it yet, but I didn't exactly go the stock route:

The engine was just molded into the chassis and not entirely impressive, so I started doing a bus / Ferrari F-40 hybrid kit. The rear seat has given way to the new 12 cyl boxer and compartment and radiators. The stock rear torsion bars suspension was removed and I used the Ferrari coil-overs. Many parts were made out of sheet and rod plastic found at hobby shops. Instead of the "pizza cutter" wheels and tires, I used the 265/40/VR15 rear and 225/50/VR15 front Pirelli P7 tires from the F-40. They are mounted on widened stock "steel" wheels using the OEM VW chrome hubcaps and still fit under the wheelwells. Everything else is stock. When the bus is pieced together, it looks stock, except for the wide wheels.

It's far from finished, as all of my other models are, but someday....

-- Best Regards, Scot Douglas Project Engineer; Chrysler/Mitsubishi Joint Programs Mitsubishi Motors R&D of America P: (734) 971-0900 x124 F: (734) 971-0901