Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Apr 1998 17:48:25 -0700
From:         Paulo <paulagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Demographics
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

It's been fun to read about everyone who has responded to this thread. Here's my thumbnail sketch.

Paul is the name or, Paulo, Paulagon, Pablo - whatever. I'm 25 and as I write this I'm a temporary resident of San Francisco. I was raised in Minneapolis, attended Augsburg College in Mpls and earned a BA in Political Science and almost Philosophy as well, I'm 3 short of the necessary 11. I've worked many jobs, including software marketing grunt, public relations Account Executive, pizza flipper, legislative intern, van driver (not VW), music booker, and currently a I'm Legal Assistant on a patent case. In a month I'll be back as the "Special Projects Guy" for Denali Outdoor Center, an adventure based outdoor recreation company.

Bought my first VW in early 1996, after owning 2 Toyota Supra's and a Jeep CJ-7. My gold Syncro was begging for attention when it arrived in my world. In fact after a few months the tranny went out and cost me $2500 (a fortune to a college student!). It took a painful month for it to be completed. She had a ton of deferred maintainence and I've replaced a lot of standard parts.. To date I feel that most of the work is under control, but that remains to be seen. Oh, I also have an 84 Subaru GL 4x4 (in AK) - a little tropper.

I bought the Syncro after a trip to South America fell through, I was about to buy a plane ticket and heard news that the trip in flux from a friend I was supposed to meet there. A close freind and owner of several VW's knew I was looking for a Vanagon, he found one and called me. We looked at it that night and he said he would buy it if I didn't

I was also given a sickly 68 Type III, but ended up given it away again after my Syncro tapped me out of money. Man, I wanted that car!

Since 1991 I've been bouncing back and forth between Alaska and the lower 48. In years past becuase of school, this year because of a woman (Jodie, we live together - in sin - ha ha). My stock of worldly items continues to grow there and dwindle here. My heart and soul are there, so I'm taking the few remaing things with me when I leave in less than 28 days!

My Alaskan home is just south of Denali National Park. I live in a small cabin, 15x15 with a loft and propane lights and heat. It's situated on a ridge carved by a glacier and faces south toward Cantwell. The view is beautiful, almost surreal, especially in November when there is snow everywhere illuminated to a blend of trippy colors including (but not limited to) pink, orange, purple, red, and gold. The summer is nice too!

I'm passionate about a lot of things aside from my Syncro. Only one other I'll mention, Australian Cattle Dogs - Blue Heelers. If you like dogs, check out a Heeler. Great once they're trained.

Anyone who reads this, please send me telepathic luck. I'm about to drive my Syncro north, to stay. I hope it is an uncomplicated trip!

Thanks for the friendship

Paul 86 Syncro - 190K