Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Apr 1998 09:23:25 -0400
From:         John Olmsted <olmcons@NETINC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Demographics
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I have really enjoyed the backgrounds of the list members; we are a varied lot.

Here is my two cents worth:

I was born in 1952, my father must have gone out and bought that 1953 single-cab pickup to celebrate; it was the first in Canada. ( I still have the canvas cover for the bed). This was the first vehicle I remember. We had a succession of VWs (bugs, squareback, bus and campers).

My first VW was a 1971 superbeetle. I loved that car, and went everywhere in it. I met and dated my future wife in the bug. When I was going to college (Electronics Engineering) it needed a valve replaced, and she paid for it! I just had to marry someone with the good taste to get a VW fixed.

We have owned a bunch of VWs (see the signature list). But the one that made the difference was our 1971 van. We bought this old delivery van from a used car lot, and it was really beat up inside. It turned out to be an old plumbers van, but it also turned out to have a heart of gold. Hidden in the back was a factory rebuilt engine - and it took us across North America on a whirlwind camping tour. As our family grew, (to four kids) we added a centre seat from a wrecker. But it finally succumbed to the rust cancer that is common in these parts. When we finally let it go, the steering gear had become separated from the frame. We were then van less, and not happy about it. We went to the 1983 International Auto Show in Toronto, and the Van Of Our Dreams was there - a Diesel Vanagon GL - two tone brown, 5 speed transmission, factory sunroof; the works. We bought it off the floor, and have been driving it ever since.

I seem to have diesel in my veins. I grew up with Caterpillar equipment (my father had and earthmoving company), and I really like the way diesel engines last. I have had several VW (and Audi) diesels, and they have all been great.

We like to travel and camp (tent) and the VW van fits our life style perfectly. A few years ago we discovered VW shows, and we try to attend as many as we can in the Northeast as exhibitors. If you attend any shows in the Northeast this year, look for the 'Smoking Tortoise', and please stop by and chat. ____________

Diesel John Southern Ontario, CANADA

'83 Vanagon GL Diesel "The Smoking Tortoise" '71 S-Cab Pickup "Ole Blu" '83 Audi 5000TD '84 Audi 5000 Avant ex '71 Super Beetle '71 Type II "Ole Red" '76 Scirocco '77 Diesel Rabbit '78 Diesel Rabbit

Member LIMBO & VW CLUB