Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Apr 1998 00:20:57 -0000
From:         Leif <Leif_Abel@T-THREE.COM>
Subject:      Demographics
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi All;

Doing this demographics thing makes me feel like I'm introducing myself at "Vanagon Junkies Anonymous Support Group" :-) Well here goes; I'm Leif Paulsen and I have been a Volkswagen Addict for 7 years, my drug of choice is Vanagons. Whew... that feels so much better to get it off of my chest after all these years! My first VW was a '91 Jetta, it was my first car and I really did go driving just because I liked the way it drove. I sold the Jetta When I got married and drove a Subaru Station Wagon, Then a Volvo 740 Turbo Station Wagon (Wish I could swap that Engine into my syncro), One day I saw a White '86 Westfalia Wolfsberg Ed. (67,000K, immac.,no kitchenette) for sale in the parking lot of the grocery store. I fell hard in love. I was a student at the time and my wife refused to part with her Volvo, so driven to desperation and lust I took out a Student Loan and bought it for 4K, what a deal (I hope no one from Financial Aid is on the list). We named him "Fletch" after a character from Jonathan Livingston Seagull because driving that camper was total freedom and self-contained Independence.When we bought Fletch I had to promise my wife that if the money got to tight the first thing to go was Fletch. That all Changed when while camping 3 hours from nowhere she went into labor with our first son. She Laid on the bed and we timed contractions while I drove at breakneck speed to the hospital for 2.5 hours. We made it to the hospital in Logan Utah. After my son was born she swore that she loved that vanagon more than anything...from then on a Vanagon has always been a member of the family ( I wanted to name my son Fletch, but that isn't really a Norwegian name, so I had to settle for Thor-Leif ). Sold the '86 for a fully loaded '91 Westy When I got a good job. I loved all of the amenities in the full Westy, but we really needed a daily driver. I bought an '86 Syncro GL; charcoal grey, weekender pkg., blue interior, 100K, Awning, Sunroof (that thing is the size of some convertibles). I'm in the process of having the body completely redone and painted Tornado/Toronado Red. I'm also having some "bull bars" and matching rear bumper made. I sold my '91 Westy 'cause we needed more seating room and we still have the bed which is what we really use anyway. We have since added another member to our family, Stein Erik was born in December and I must say I love those little guys tons. Today I bought an 84' GL for 700 bucks That I'm going to use for a work truck and hauler (I build water gardens in my spare time). I work at a software company, CMC, as the NT network engineer, and administrator of the AS/400. I am politically conservative, I love Rush Limbaugh, and Dr. Laura Shlesinger. Only four types of music are allowed in my van (in order of importance); Neil Young/CSNY, Grateful Dead, Irish/Celtic folk, Willie Nelson. I love Skiing and Golf (+5 Handicap). Well that's all about me.

Leif '86 Syncro GL

Take a Liking to a Viking Because Leif Landed First