Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Apr 1998 05:39:07 -0700
From:         Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Now here is a challenge!
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

---KENWILFY <KENWILFY@AOL.COM> wrote: > > First challenge: > Had a similar problem. The thing would only drip when the engine was running > and warmed up. As soon as the engine was shut off the stuff would evaporate > and leave very little trace. It was coming from the right side too. It was > one of the two heater hoses that are on that side. It was rotten and the > water would seep out at higher pressures. Check these hoses and get back to > me.

While you're at it, I would pay particular attention to the one coming directly out of the right head. This will be a hose that connects to the direct front of the cylinder head. This one is known to go... It'll be hard to see, but if you look past all of the FI and air intake stuff, you'll see it. Also crawl under the right hand side of the bus to confirm.

> 2nd challenge: Belt squealing might be just belt needing tension or could be > water pump getting ready to buy the farm. Try to move the pulley on the water > pump. It should be tight with no side to side motion and very little (or no) > forward to back motion.

Being a Vanagon, I would say that you are probably on your second or third water pump. (I'm on #4 now, if I take the PO's word) Check if there is a weep hole, which is a small opening on the pump housing that SHOULD have no coolant seeping out. If there is, then stick a fork in her; she's done. Could explain why your hose is ready to bust from the heat. How hot does your van run?

Also check the pulley on the alternator. Could be a > bad bearing in that as well.

If you still have your A/C compressor hanging in there, check that as well.

If your heater hose(s) is/are bad, there are some caveats with regard to changing it so get a hold of me if that's the case.

Best of luck, Sam == "Punk's not dead (it just sucks right now)"

...quit whining... http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6507