Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:47:34 +0100
From:         "Woodcock, Frank" <f.woodcock@UNISON.CO.UK>
Subject:      Sticking Heater Cables - The cure
Comments: To: Vanagon <vanagon@bigkitty.azaccess.com>

My Holdsworth Villa Conversion 1981 Campervan AKA 'Pooh' is undergoing restoration (Latest photographs at my website http://frankw.demon.co/pooh.htm )

Sticking Point The sticking point so far are the heater cables. I have obtained two sets of heater cables and both the left hand cables had bends which meant that the cable could be pulled (just) but not push properly. The 'curtain wire' outer cable would just stretch as I pushed the inner cable.

The cables are made in Italy as VW do not supply them any more so they are not guaranteed to specification. The answer to the problem was to pick the cable that appeared to be straightest when laid flat on the floor. Next I got one person at each end and pull alternately at each end while I dripped some bike oil (3 in One lubricant) into the outer cable for about 30 minutes until the cable was 'full' of oil. (This is family team work only)

Twist in the Tail

Next, I inserted the straight end of the inner cable into a hand drill and turned the inner cable for a few minutes while one of the team held the outer cable. This did the trick and freed the cable which is now pushing as well as pulling.

Was it worth it? I hope to have all the cables fitted this week and get 'Pooh' on the road this weekend and take some more photographs for the website. This time some photographs of the interior, exterior and the shiny new bits on the engine.