Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:37:17 +0000
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <blosskf@relay.apci.com>
From:         Karl Bloss <blosskf@APCI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sticking Heater Cables - The cure
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I had a kink in one of the heater cables, probably due to it sticking and I was too forceful with it at the time. This is worse in winter, of course, since everything is more viscous.

For those that don't quite need to tear down their heater cables, but feel they could use some PR, try the following:

Get a can of motorcyle chain lube with the long plastic tube for reaching into tight places. It's a spray can, kinda like WD-40.

Remove the ashtray and/or the instrument cluster (eave all the cables and wires attached; you can just kinda look in there). Find which lever activates which cables and operate the lever such that the maximum amount of cable is exposed. Put the chain lube tube through the lever opening in the dash and drip small amounts of chain lube on the cable and operate the lever back and forth to work the lube into the tube. Don't use too much, 'cause it's sticky yucky stuff when combined with all the dust bunnies and grime behind there. Wipe up any that drips down (if you can reach it).

I did this for all the cables even though only the hot/cold lever needed it. I bent the kink out and it worked fine all winter because the cable had much less resistance.

BTW, I use the chain lube on the sliding door as well. Easy to get into place and then it stays since it's meant to stay on a moving chain that would fling thinner lubricants right off.

-Karl '87 Vanagon GL Weekender "Beverley"; Trexlertown, PA http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/ VW shop list: http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/vwshops