Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Apr 1998 12:39:22 EDT
From:         Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sticking Heater Cables - The cure
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

> I had a kink in one of the heater cables,

Hey folks--

For those who suffer from bent heater cables: You might also want to check the heater core valve under the bus in the spare tire compartment. It's at the other end of the heater cable.

My heater cable bent this summer somewhere in Iowa after seeing the world's largest coffee pot in Stocton. When I got home I was able to straighten and use the same cable. The problem wasn't the cable but the heater valve which is under the bus above the spare tire. It was sticky and tough to move. I had to drop the spare tire to access the valve, then lay under the bus and pack the valve with wheel grease. Between packing I moved the valve lever back and forth till it moved freely. Then I straightened the cable and the action was really smooth.

In fact I figured out the valve, prior to greasing, was sticking open slightly pumping ever-so-little heat into the cabin--but still too much in summer. Since the bus was new to me at the time I thought the ehat was just the heat from the radiator sneaking in.

I personally stay away from lubes like WD-40 in favor of grease. I've found the WD-40's lubricating qualities don't last as long grease. And WD-40 breaks down any grease that may be still lubricating.

While WD-40 is great for loosening, I'm not to keen on it's long-term results as a lube. If I have to use WD-40 to loosen something like a cable I will. Then I'll clean it up and grease it well.

That's my $.02 on WD-40. If the WD-40 works for you, I have no problem with that.

Happy motoring Jeff 83.5 Westy NY