Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:37:33 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: <syncro/all> hesitation/miss after fording?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, smitht@UNB.CA

I'll agree with Dan. I spent much time trying to get the '80 Westy running again -- it was flooding the engine, typically during startup only. I *believe* the final problem was odd contact at the distributor Hall effect generator. Getting this part wet could do the same thing. My belief is that the engine was reverting to open-loop mode on the fuel injection, and that it was getting spurious signals from the coil, acting like it was getting many sparks. Consequently, it got many extra squirts of fuel and flooded the engine. My way home was to pull a major pipe off the intake manifold creating a massive leak and restart the car (the *very* lean condition allowing the flooded engine to fire). Then reconnect, and hopefully make it down the road some more.

I ended up removing the wires from the plug housing and soldering the ends. I then sealed the plug with RTV. I screwed up and wired it all back together backwards, too, but that is another story.

In any event, water in this plug (and it conveniently holds water -- the socket does not drain) can cause extra "sparks" to happen, which the computer translates to pulses of fuel. If the O2 sensor is momentarily lost, the ECU will revert to open-loop mode, and this extra fuel will be disasterous. Restarting the car will clear the ECU and it will go back to closed-loop mode while it can -- and the extra pulses will not be a problem. Full-throttle and idle (on a Digifant, but not on my '80) will cause the ECU to enter open-loop mode again, which could explain why you kept getting this effect. There is supposed to be a water-tight boot on this plug -- mine is all cracked.

It might explain your troubles -- the distributor getting wet could have done this. Next time, seal the whole shebang in a plastic bag before driving in the wet. Also seal the Idle Stabilizer Control box in a plastic bag -- the protection it gets is minimal (I also seal the case with RTV). I'd do the same for the AFC connector as well.

I think a good O2 sensor, with a sealed wire, should not notice a dunking. I have done the cheapo-splice routine, though, and had to get the splice quite watertight. The spade-lug connector is supposed to be in a watertight fitting, but mine is all cracked. On the '80, the temp sensor connector is *not* a watertight one, and when this gets wet, it can cause open loop mode as well. I don't recall how they are connected on later engines, but sealing this connection also would make sense.

I don't know if you can seal the coil -- putting it in a plastic bag might not be good as they generate a lot of heat. you might be able to seal just the wire end, and leave the can part exposed for cooling.

Good luck. I hope and trust that the problem went away when it was all dried out.

Malcolm