Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Apr 1998 21:43:47 -0400
From:         Stephen Davis <sdavis@MAINE.MAINE.EDU>
Subject:      pressure bleeding the coolant system
Comments: To: vanagon list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

> Darrell wrote: > > >> The following setup using a bike tire pump seems to over come some of > the problems that can develop when flushing, or replacing coolant in the > cooling system on our water cooled vans. <<

Hey Volks Thanks to Darrell I tried this system on my van this weekend after I messed up a Bentley procedure with a air locked waterpump. I had to pump up the system and refill the tank a number of times but coolant did come out the radiator. Then I started up the van, put it up on ramps and checked the system ala Bentley. Only a little air in the system and that came right out after the van had warmed up enough to open the thermostat. There is a little air in the left hand tank in the back which I can't get out because of the internal reinforcements in the plastic molding, I hope that is alright. I found that a zefal press-and-twist-the-lever mt. bike pump fit right on the cap nipple. I also used a high quality Silica track pump with built in gauge to monitor the pressure I was adding to the system. I never approached the 1 bar level that the system is designed to run at. I drove the van to work today (22 mi at 65 mph) and the temp looked fine and I had heat. Are there any other symptoms that I should be aware of for air in the system? Lets hope I haven't offended the vw gods by sharing my good news.

Later, Stephen Davis