Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Apr 2022 00:34:42 -0700
From:         "Peter W. Stein" <pwstein@WENET.NET>
Subject:      Change of direction on "CD"

Hello listees,

Peter Stein here, mostly quiet listmember, and I decided it might be a good time to share some info that might help everyone who is in an uproar about this "archive CD".

I am nearing graduation with a BFA (fine arts) with a major in Computer Art. Concentration is (key point here) Interactive Digital Media. I am starting a multimedia production company soon and one of my "production plans" for a project is a Vanagon Owners Guide. To be brief, the past six months I have been developing ideas towards a fully interactive CD-rom for Vanagon owners to use as a resource just as a Bentley and the ever-powerful/always growing Vanagon List. Right off the bat I want to say that I NEVER had any thoughts of using the information from the list as direct material to put in this project. The list has, however, been very insightful as to the common concerns/problems/questions of a Vanagon owner.

To share a little more about the CD, I'll mention that it will contain video clips of repair procedures, listings of: the tools needed for each job, the part numbers for each repair/replacement, links and info to parts providers, statistics, history, workarounds, vanagon art/pics/video, etc. It will also have a price tag. Statistically speaking - a production of this type would take over a year and nearly half a million dollars. Yes, statistically. I don't know how long it will take me and my company, nor how much, but it stands to reason that a producer of such *quality content will always have the bottom line in mind - a profit. I have a family, student loans, and goals of financial security. This drive for success has never kept me from wanting to produce media/entertainment that is in my interest realm. I grew up with VWs, owned dozens (mostly typeII) and will eternally love them. Owning a Westy Syncro for the past year has increased my infatuation. Therefore the interest in the subject. I also snowboard, skateboard, build computers, etc. and I hope to produce content (for profit) on these subjects as well.

I have the knowledge, the drive, the dedication, the bills, the support, and much more to assist my success. I don't make promises that I can't keep, and I am not making any now. I WANT to make this CD, but I have been reserved in mentioning it on the list because of previous (and current) disputes that seem to leave everyone with a bad taste in their mouths and no productive results. I had bought a Bentley manual and was disturbed at how unintuitive it was. No index, barely any mention on procedure, mostly tool #s and parameters of torques, CO levels, voltage, etc. I guess my ultimate goal with the product I intend on making is something that bridges the gap. That brings all of this great wealth of info SOURCES into an understandable FORM along with a reputable mechanic's version of the processes involved. I know copyrights enough to produce my own content, to ask for permissions, and to expect that nothing is free.

In the end, if it works, you as a computer/Vanagon owner would have the opportunity to purchase a content-packed, high-quality, eye-pleasing, extremely-helpful interactive guide to owning, maintaining, enjoying your vanagon. This is what America is all about. If somebody puts their blood, sweat, and tears into a piece of work, they should have the chance to sell it for an honest price. I hope you all understand this long-winded letter and why I wrote it. I love this list, and it scares me to think how quickly moods change around here, so please, if you feel threatened by someone doing what they love on a subject that they love - don't take it out on the list. You can exercise your mind/opinion in much better ways.

Sincerely,

Peter W. Stein pwstein@wenet.net '86 Westy Syncro "illy" " blessed with German engineering, cursed with German engineering "

"All Rights Reserved."