Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Apr 1998 19:57:55 -0300
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      CD/archives and pettiness
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

OK, here's my disclaimer, anything I have ever sent to V@L or V@V is free for anyone to use, anytime, any way. I DID NOT put stuff there for my own private benefit, nor is it 'top secret', proprietary info, trade marked or any other bullshit. Likewise I accept absolutely no responsibility for any consequences if you use anything I've posted. :)

If some greedy sod doesn't want to contribute freely to the list for fear of losing a nickle, then simply DON'T!, just shut up and lurk, better yet stay off the list altogether. If someone feels they have made such a significant contribution to the archives that they deserve a share of the pie, or options on it, well you don't, you're a drone like the rest of us!

Those archives were built by hundreds of people, the loss of one or ten contributers is trivial, simply no one is important enough to really matter. But it is a PITA to have to sort the archives to cull off the stuff some dorks feel like 'keeping' (sorry but I've already seen yours, and if it was any good I've kept it!) So give it up, and do something really beneficial for everyone for once.

What has happened to mellowed out bus owners anyhow? Maybe I should ask the next stuck bus owner I see for $10 before I help out. I got some flame mail from Hooper at the time of the list split when I suggested no one owned the logo 'type2' or 'V@L' or whatever it was for sticker use. Things don't change with some folks. One person IMO who is acting in the right spirit in the matter of list 'property' is Richard Palmer with stickers and mugs for non-profit, keep it up. Sorry if I've offended other folks by omission.

How many people out there with a CD burner and a highspeed link? Download the archives and pump out 5 copies for friends. Next generation(s) can be cloned from first batch, should spread faster than cockroaches eventually. Anyone who somehow receives one can then send a suitable donation to Coyote. This should be done annually. Copyright gives you the right to sue.... so what? just spread out the target thinly enough and it ain't gonna happen.

frustratedly, Tim S.