Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Apr 1998 08:04:42 -0500
From:         Bob Berkemer <berky@WIN.BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      demographics
Comments: To: GMBulley@aol.com, "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Well there "GM",

I agree, it does make you curious about the folks on the other side of the ether connection. I, like probably most of us create a sort of mental/informational image of the people who post regularly. I especially ponder the "age" of the listee's. Probably I'm mostly wrong but its a natural and unavoidable mental construct. I guess that's why I love to see the home web pages of some of the list members as I get to see their vanagons and sometimes the owner themselves. Hey, there's an idea...maybe someone on the list could set up a server and sell for a reasonable price, disc space and help for us listees to have web pages of our vanagons and our vanagon related experiences.

As for me, "the old hippy". Well not quite. Since I drive an 84 westy I've been labeled "old hippy" by my boss who is a retired West Point General, (who drove a westy when he was stationed in Germany by the way).

I am 50 and was in college at Ohio State during the late 60's so I was part of the "scene" back then but then I too "was" from a strict Catholic family and could only be part of the action to a point. I was trained as an industrial designer by a bunch of demanding Germans and am now in the Technology department at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. I've owned 57, 62, 67, 70 and 74 bugs, an 80 Rabbit, an 86 Jetta (probably the best VW I've owned) and now a 95 6cyl Golf and the 84 westy. I drive the speed limit in the westy (no choice) and just the opposit with the Golf.

I'm left handed, hopelessly unambitious, and think Homer Simpson is a role model. I want a westy watch, I want a westy watch. Also love canoeing, wood canoes and birding (as in bird watching).

Gotta go now, need a donut,

Bob

Remember "trying is the first step toward failure" Homer Simpson