Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:14:28 -0300
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      Syncro Swimming
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi,

The front diff and rear trans have small 1/4" black plastic vent pipes that run up to about 6" above floor level. Trans vent goes up into top of engine area, front diff reaches up into area ahead of gear shift. Check these because with age they make crack at the connection on the case. I think that water will have filled the distributer by the time the tops of these go under, you'll have wet feet at least.

Unimogs (and Hummers) do pressurise the diff to keep water out, if you are this nutso scrounge the electric door lock air-pump from an Audi and hook it up? Nice to have good seals at the output flanges, shame to push all the oil out! This is where you may get some seepage of water in BTW. VW says drive steadily through 30cm (12") water, for 40cm (16") let the engine/exhaust cool then drive through and check for water in engine once on other side. Don't shift gears, the clutch may spin if wet. These depths apply to non-Syncros and loafs also.

Derek Drew has driven to top of turn signal depth, on 27/8.5/14 tires, likely about ~20" depth, I guess same here. I quit when water starts coming into the foot wells, want to keep the carpets dry. Some day I need a volunteer to lie in the back with the engine lid off and watch what goes on in deeper waters. In front engined 4x4 a bit of speed sets up a bow wave with a hollow behind it where the engine lurks, dunno what a vanagon does, so I drive very slowly, while the exhaust burbles happily. Like Bjorn said, steam everywhere.

bye, Tim