Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Apr 1998 16:43:42 -0700
From:         Dane Tessler <dane714@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Back from Busses on the Bridge!
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

What a great trip. There were well over 100 busses in the caravan....and not a single breakdown.

The event started last Friday evening at Lake Manatee State Rec Facility near Sarasota, FL. About 30 busses showed up. We all had a bonfire and sing-along till the wee hours. Throughout the next day, more busses started piling in. Unfortunately, a lot of tourists piled in as well, and the campsite filled up by mid afternoon.

The park rangers were very cool and told any VW that came through the gate that they could double and triple up with other VW's already camped. (This is normally against the rules there). By sundown, there were at least two busses in each campsite.

My son, Joey....was the official bus counter and he circled the campsite and came up with a final count of 70 busses by the time the sun went down. Later that night.....another bonfire with three guitar players (me included) and a great time.

On Sunday morning, we all assembled at a shopping center lot nearby. By the time we started the convoy over the Sunshine Skyway bridge....there were nearly 100 busses in the lot. The caravan stretched over 5 miles.

Practically every type of bus was represented ranging from 1958 to 1997. The Old Speed Surfer Dudes were there in their splitties and single cabs, with a plethora of 70's vintage Westies and Campmobiles, a few straight busses, maybe a dozen Vanagon Westies, a few modified show vans, one 1997 Eurovan Camper, a few classic Bugs and even a Neo-Bug (looked like a pregnant Neon).

People came from as far as Ohio and South Carolina (Loafin' Joe Weir, to be exact).

The caravan ended at Ft. Desoto Park near St. Petersburg for a picnic. I do not have an exact count yet...but I know there were 100 plus busses in line by the time we reached the park. At one point during the caravan, VW's covered the entire span of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge!

I plan to post photos from the event on my website as soon as I get them developed.

Have a good week, all....

Dane Tessler 87 Westfalia 138K Treasure Island, FL http://members.aol.com/Dane714/westfalia.html