Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Apr 1998 16:45:07 EDT
From:         GMBulley <GMBulley@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Could be... was: '46 Type I FS
Comments: To: s_j_wacker@JUNO.COM, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-04-19 11:25:42 EDT, s_j_wacker@JUNO.COM writes:

<< I may be full of hot gasses, but didn't WW II end in 1945 and the VW plant lay in ruins. I would think it would have been difficult to get into production by 1946. Just a thought. >>

Wish I could remember the name of the book, but I read it some 10 years back about the birth and evolution of VW (KdF Wagen). Some listee will set us straight though.

In the book, it talks about the War years and how one bomb (a dud) came close to ending VW forever. It landed in the power station for the plant. Had it exploded it would have destroyed machinery that could not have been replaced in those postwar years. Back to the point though.

VW was in production in 1946. The factory roof was completely missing in many places, and supplies of metal and tools were hard to come by. The Brits, who were in charge of the VW facilities after the War, pushed the factory rapidly back into production with typically British chin-ups-manship. When spring rains came, workers stood in ankle-deep water on the factory floor.

I don't have the facts here, but the numbers of cars produced those first few years were laughable, (like 100 the first year?) The point was to get our German friends back on their feet.

If you are truly a VW nut, the book is required reading. Recalling it now, I hope that someone can tell us the same so I can replace the copy I once owned.

gmbulley cary, nc partly cloudy, high near 80, storms pending