Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:49:11 -0400
From:         Rick Koller <rkoller@HELIX.NIH.GOV>
Subject:      a/c refurbished (long)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Vanagonauts, I thought I'd post my a/c repair adventure for the List's benefit. First I's like to thank again those of you who responded to my first cry for help. I have a '90 syncro-westie whose a/c was condemned (and a '91 gl whose a/c is also suspect) last summer by a local vw dealer to the tune of $1800.00 in repairs. Naturally this unpleasant news put me in serious denial and I put off repairs till this spring because the compressor was still working at the time (it expired this spring). After consulting the List I got a few phone numbers for non-dealer parts suppliers and started calling. Camelback VW was not able to help at all and I started with Vintage Air in Texas. They carry the compressor but were out of stock so I found another supplier in Ft. Worth called Southeast Air Inc. 800-274-1251, 817-568-1251 very nice people to deal with. They needed the part and model number which are both on a sticker on the side of the compressor. The compressor was new and included the clutch for $180.00, I also needed the expansion valve which was $28.00. The compressor was identical to the factory unit except for the electrial connector which was different. This was easily remedied by simply cutting off the VW connector an splicing it on to new compressor's wires. I got a new receiver dryer for $65.00 at a local FLAPS. Unfortunately, I ran out of time to install these components ( we're going to Florida Keys) but the system needed flushing anyway so I took it to a local a/c shop to do the install. Since this was a camper I removed the rear cabinet that covers the evaporator and holds the fan blowers so the a/c tech wouldn't have to spend 8 extra hours doing that. Bentley covers this quite well and, other than the time it took, it was straight forward, reinstalling was a bit more trouble especially when reattaching the drain hoses to the condensation tray. There isn't much room to manuever and those hoses are a real stiff plastic. After everything was installed I now once again have "cool".

Rick Koller '90 syncro-westie (cool) '91 gl auto box (not so cool)