Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:42:57 -0700
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran.inc@INTERNETMCI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buying a Vanagon
Comments: To: CWD986 <CWD986@AOL.COM>, Vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Doug,

If I were you, the first thing I would do is to contact busdepot.com and get aboard the List purchase of the Haynes manual from the UK. It's about a $20.00 investment. I have one from the publisher who charged me about $38.00 before the List purchase was announced. If you want to rush an order without regard to cost, see Haynes.com

It explains in pictures the coolant pump replacement, for example, for both early and late models. I presume yours is an early model, built before July 1985, as is my 84 Westy. If birthday is later than foregoing date, the job is more simple than for the early models. I'd see no problem with the guaranteed pump, if you have the ability and the rather simple tools to replace the pump. Haynes rates the procedure as a 3-wrench, degree of difficulty, job, "fairly difficult, suitable for competent DIYer."

I'm a mature shade tree mechanic, do-it-yourselfer, so I say it is a rather simple job IF YOU FOLLOW THE PROCEDURES, replace all of the seals and accept the recommendation to evaluate the stub hose, and if you determine that there is no need to remove one of the coolant distribution pipes if you determine if it would block removal of the pump.

Usual disclaimers...

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA