Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:14:40 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU>
Subject:      1.9l Turbo Diesel Group purchase.
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I'm planning to take the jump and upgrade to a 1.9l Turbo Diesel engine. I've got some contacts with sources for these, and I thought I was going to check with the list if there was any interest in a group purchase. The idea would be to get enough orders to get good (near whole sale) prices on the engines and a favorable delivery cost.

More in detail I'm planning to swap in a 1.9l TD engine. That's not a TDI, but the same indirect injection engine that has been available in Canada in post '93 (I think) Volkswagens.

Why not a TDI? The 1.9 TD is a much more straightforward swap. It's easier to get and less expensive. One of the reasons I like Diesels is that I don't have to bother with complicated electronic fuel injection systems, lots of electric sensors etc. The only connections needed to run the TD is the starter and fuel shutoff solenoid. The TDI is unfortunately every bit as complicated as electronic fuel injected gas engine.

To fit the 1.9 TD one needs either:

1/ Swap into a Diesel Vanagon or the diesel specific parts from a diesel Vanagon (Engine mounts, oil pan, oil pump, bell housing).

or

2/ Get an adaptor kit from KEP.

I'm doimg 1/ because I've already got a Diesel. Except for three issues the swap is a "bolt on" of the Diesel engine combined with the Diesel Vanagon parts.

1/ and 2/ Exhaust and intake: These need to be custom made. Not a big deal.

3/ Depending on which turbo unit (Garrett or KKK) the engine has there may be an interference problem between the left motor mount and the turbo waste gate. This can be solved by a special motor mount (import from Germany, or custom make), or with A2 (Quantum) manifolds. (They will bolt up, buit cause a slight performance penalty. The 1.9 engine has a better flowing D-port head than the older Quantum manifolds.)

Back to the group purchase. It would be for the 1.9l TD engine only. The industrial version lists for $3500 from VW. Used 1.9l TD's from Canadian wreckers are around $2000. I'm looking for a group purchase price for new engines somewhere inbetween. If you're interested please let me know. However please don't hit that reply button just as a reflex. First think if you're really interested in going through with this.

For an account by someone who did this swap, see my TD pages, and click on Bob Bellanca, or type in this link:

http://www.cs.yale.edu/users/jag/vw/tdiswap/bellanca.html

/Martin -- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.rochester.edu Computer Science Department University of Rochester

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw