Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Apr 1998 20:17:54 EDT
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@WWW.MWC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Question about Clutch Slave
Comments: To: KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

> > I dropped the tranny out of a customer's van today (2 hours) and noticed that > the clutch slave piston seems really sloppy. I can push it back up with a bit > of effort and it doesn't make any noises but it seems that the piston itself > can be moved from side to side very easily and, if I wanted to, it feels like > I could pull the piston right out of the boot. I don't remember the slave on > my '85 feeling like this. Is this normal or is it time to think about a new > slave? Now would be the time to do it since everything is apart and all. Any > help would be appreciated. > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > PS still trying to figure out why the removal of clutch slave is supposed to > be so difficult. Did it all by myself in ten minutes today. > This is normal. If you remove the boot you will see that the pushrod is not connected physically to the piston. Rather the end of the pushrod sits in the piston, which is concave. This is all covered by the boot and all you see is the tip of the pushrod sticking out with the socket to fit on the clutch release lever arm. So yes you could pull it right out of the boot, but that's normal.

As was said earlier on the list, removal of the clutch slave cylinder is indeed really easy. Installation, however, is a bit more tricky because you are working against the clutch to put it back in (unless of course the engine is out).

-- Sean Bartnik Fredericksburg, Virginia 1981 Volkswagen Vanagon L Westfalia 1974 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia convertible http://www.type2.com/bartnik/myvan.htm http://www.type2.com/bartnik/tech.htm