Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:46:02 -0500
From:         Carl Scheider <Carl.Scheider@STPAUL.COM>
Subject:      Premium Radio Problem and dumb idea
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM
Comments: cc: webster@winternet.com

Well -- my "premium" (there is no visible brand on it) radio in my 93 Eurovan has adopted a weird problem. The selector buttons have taken on new personalities. Numbers 1 through 3 work fine, but number 4 has become the "mode" switch (am - fm), number 5 stopped working period, and number 6 acts like "scan".

Well, say I -- why don't I disconnect this thing and perhaps reset its brain, so it will treat these buttons with some respect. DUMB idea! This "premium" radio has an anti-theft feature, which requires me to enter a 4 digit code to re-enable it after it has lost power. Note -- a FOUR digit code. The FOURTH selector button is used to enter the FOURTH number, and IT doesn't work! Bah, humbug. Now I have a radio where NOTHING works!

But, after diddling around for some time, I managed to get the 4th button to increment, once every 40 or so pushes, pushing other buttons in between. I have no idea why this works, but I managed to get the code in -- to at least get me back to a radio with 3 buttons working.

But . . . then, I noticed that the station pre-sets were NOT wiped out when I took out the fuse. I had let it sit for 30 minutes, and they were still retained. What gives? Is there another source of power to this, is their a hidden battery under there -- how does it remember the 4 digit code? I would pull the battery cable, but then I'd have to resort to the diddling to get it working again.

So -- if your fancy electronic radio adopts another personality, put up with it! Shock therapy don't work.

I notice in the manual that VW will swap this radio for a reconditioned one for a "modest" charge. I guess I'll try that.

By the by, I just noticed the post on the EV newslist -- and I'll take my problems there in the future.

But . . . I have owned 4 air cooled and 1 water cooled VW vans -- and had plenty of problems to share. The head gasket on my 85 was one of the costlier, until I hit the AC on the Eurovan. On both occasions, and also with all of the broken CV joints, I found that a reasonable letter to VW resulted in some money back! I also replaced the gauges on the Eurovan -- for some $300 -- and I note in this list that it was bad solder connections. So . . . keep up the good work.

Mayhaps we can get a few VW mechanics to join! Mine owns the same model as I have, so he's at least a kindred spirit, albeit expensive.

Carl