Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Apr 1998 09:41:23 -0400
From:         Mark Thoma <TVReporter@STRATOS.NET>
Subject:      Vanagon Major Surgery?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

So here's the deal... Yesterday I told you all how I towed this Vanagon out from Philly to Cleveland with my turbodiesel Rabbit Pick-up (now for sale, but none the worse for wear). Once I do the engine swap from my Quantum turbo-d into the Vanagon, I'm thinking of major surgery on the Vanagon to turn in into a crewcab/coupe. It's these dam PC Paint programs on my computer. It's easy enough to cut and paste (on the computer) the rear hatch and windows, and rear bench seat up towards the center of the van, and eliminate the sliding door, and center seats. (I've actually spent far too much time doing this on the computer to come up with a pretty cool looking hybrid van jpg file, but I can't figure out how to attach it. Maybe I'll take a copy over to Erik O's and let him post it for all of you to laugh at!) I have a good friend who's a body man, and assures me it wouldn't be all that hard, just take a lot of time. It's just that I don't need a 7 seater, 5 would do nicely, and it would isolate the engine outside of the engine compartment, eliminate weight, etc. Any thoughts on this? Will the underneath need strengthening in order to avoid folding. I don't think so, but.....