Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:39:50 -0400
From:         Ed McLean <mcleans@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Rectangular Headlights -- US only???
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Maybe everyone else knows this but I'm going to ask it anyway.

After reading the round quad SA Vanagon headlight thread I began to wonder if Vanagons supplied to all countries got rectangular headlights after 1986? Did everyone with rectangular headlights get the same US DOT specification reflector with a 9004 bulb or did some countries get a better reflector with a H4 bulb? The "world specification bulb" might be an alternative for better headlights for people in the US that don't want to do the upgrade to quad round lights.

Yes, I realize that this would probably cost $250 at list price and they might not be legal in the US, etc.

The headlights on my US spec '86 are made by Hella and have the following markings: DOT 82 HV, Made in Germany SAE H 84 Right Hi/Low reflector: SSB 306 301-130 830 Left Hi/Low reflector: SSB 305 301-130 829

For those list readers not in the US, please check your headlights and send me an e-mail directly (mcleans@earthlink.net) if they have different markings. If they are different, check to see if they have H4 or 9004 bulbs (in your owner's manual?). Also tell me how they perform, particularly on low beam and what country you are in. I am only interested in the rectangular Hi/Low bulbs, not the square Hi beam only bulbs. I will post the results on Sunday. This will save list bandwidth.

Ed McLean '86 Westi