Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Apr 1998 23:45:23 -0400
From:         Ed McLean <mcleans@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: '86 Fried AC/switch-solutions??
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com
Comments: cc: pickering.14@OSU.EDU

Hi Folks,

Eric Pickering wrote: "The AC in my Westy didn't turn on last year...I found that one of the terminals for the rotary knob (inner knob) that controls fan speed of the AC was totally fried/burnt off."

I've had exactly the same problem on my '86 Westi and I posted a note about two years ago to the list. The response was that my fan was probably drawing too much current and was going to burn out soon. It's still running. I agree that it is probably a marginal design, considering the current draw. I believe the reason the new switch gets hot is that the overheated wire terminals do not make as good of a connection as the new condition terminals do. I replaced the original switch on two sucessive years and then replaced the fan section with two 50-amp toggle switches on the dash. The higher capacity switches worked great and the fan ran at slightly faster speeds because of the loss of the voltage drop because of the resistance in the rotary switch. When I added the second AC unit in the dash I made the ultimate repair by adding two 40-amp relays and a 50-amp relay (for high fan speed) in the rear AC cabinet to carry the current to the rear fan. The current supplying the relays and thus the fan motor comes via a fused heavy gauge wire from the junction box in the engine compartment. A heavy ground wire was added. The switching voltage is provided by an original type switch (Westi type with fan and thermostat in one unit). This gave higher fan speed on all three speeds because the considerable voltage loss from the wiring to the dash-mounted switch is gone. Low speed is now equal to the medium fan speed of before. High speed is much higher than before. I would highly recommend the modification with either the toggle switches or the relays.

Ed McLean '86 Westi