Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Apr 1998 23:37:02 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Advertising & the Demise of the Westy, longish,
              lite VW bashing
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

VW does do selective advertising. San Francisco is plastered with VW ads/billboards. They are everywhere. Of course, they're all for the new beetle...and this historically is VW country. There are lots of VWs on the road here...new ... ancient and in between, bugs, busses, vanagons, EV westies all over, lots of new passats, jettas, cabriolets...a few things...and some wild things, too...

The neatest new vehicle thing I've seen around Haight street and during concerts in Golden Gate Park is where you take a vw bus....remove the chasis...cut the bottom portion of the body off up to floor level, or higher...then weld the bus onto the top of an old school bus...or better yet...an old greyhound. This ads a really nice touch...I've seen quite a variety...from passenger vans (providing abservation-deck seating for 9)...to westys...(providing a penthouse with a bedroom, kitchen, observation seats and a guest bedroom (when parked)). I saw a fairly large older blue bus yesterday near the Castro with a regular vw bus (early 70s') welded on toward the front and a westy welded on toward the back of the roof. An amazing creation. If only I had known about this when I was 16. The neatest one I saw, though, was parked down by ocean beach with a bunch of others such creations (vehicle art is big out here) during the 30th anniversary celebration of the summer of love...instead of a vw bus, the guy JB-welded or epoxied the deck of a 25 foot boat to the roof of his bus...with some bow rising out over the front...it had a small cabin/flying deck and the deck had rails so you could walk out there while in transit...geeezzzz. and to think that way back whenever I thought bolting a window from a b-52 bomber onto the roof of my '67 volvo station wagon/camper was cool.

steve san francisco