Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:13:57 -0600
From:         James Cohen <jscohen@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rectangular Headlights -- HiPo Possibility
Comments: To: Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Comments: cc: vanagon@gerry.sdsc.edu

> >I was pursuing this question not too long ago and did get a hopeful >response. I had found a firm in Canada called PG Performance that seems to >do alot with high performance lighting. I e-mailed them asking if there was >an "e-code" H-4 direct replacement for the square hi-low beams on Vanagons. >I got a response saying yes there was, and that it would cost $350(!!) >Canadian.

Yes you can get H4 retangular lights but it is a VW part only. And only available in Europe as far as I know. In '95 I went to a VW Dealership in Germany and got a price of US$130 per side. NOt including bulbs and wire connector.

The only NA mail order source I found was Ron's Parts in Vancouver, and his prices were just as bad if not worse. BTW, he has since sold his buisness and started another one, although the old one still retains his name.

However, there MAY be other discount sources in Europe, and the US dollar is kicking such ass now, that the price even at the dealer may be down to $100 per side. Not cheap, but not bad either considering how terrible the SAE rectangulars are. Somewhere, possibly in the archives (or in Derek's personal archives) is a list of German dealers which will mail order.

One last note, I'm not sure that these H-4 are hi-lo. I believe that they are Lo only. Aren't the NA lights LO only?

Good luck.

James

James Cohen

New York City, Williamstown, Ma and Aspen, CO (winters)

85 Westy 81 Westy (for sale) 71 Westy

83 Vanagon (9 Passanger) 74 Bus (9 passanger) 67 Bus (Deluxe) 66 Bus

RED! '93 Corrado RED! '87 GTI G60!!!