Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Apr 1998 23:50:14 +0200
From:         Calle Fallberg <calle.fallberg@SWIPNET.SE>
Subject:      ..let there be light....longish
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi there Vanagonérs! I have been reading through your mail for some time now - with lots and lots of admiration for your ideas and tech tips and finally I´ve worked myself up to the point where I ´ll try to dare and share some ideas of my own. Living in Sweden with lots of experience from night time deriving amongst moose and deer both as a privateer and as a truck and rally driver I´ve tried a lot of light combinations and this is what I´ve come to prefer....- oh god, I´m starting to sound like a teacher, sorry ´bout that, it´s not my intentions to be a smart alec or anything, just spilling some tips..- First of all, look at what you´ve got!!!! I now that you in the US are almost stuck with the sealed beams but if you have a chance, go get yourself some H4 lights, prefferably the older round types! Then- and this is the important part- get a couple of good relays and some THICK cable. Connect the relays between your old wiring and the bulbs with as short and thick cable as possible, using the old cables as triggerwire so you know that everyting is connected right AND possible to rebuild.Then- and this is if you have got H4 bulbs-go and get a pair of high quality bulbs and dont bother with 100 watts or more, they will only make the cromium go yellow or crack early because of extended heat and youll get a lot of power down to the bulbs anyway thanks to the wires and relays you just installed. Then you could give yous nightvision some extra help by adding som extra headlights but buy quality stuff and think of the wiring. Don't fall for the salesguys "3 zillion candlepower, lights up everything into the next county" crap but buy a pair or two of big and round lights that gives you the pattern of the headlight. If you want the yellow light, get a bulb with yellow gas in it, if you pait the glass, it´ll crack when it rains because the yellow paint collects the heat! And again:Quality bulbs gives the best lights and 55W IS enough - unless you're going 150 mph and that´s not a good thing to do in a Vanagon at night anyway! I mean, you want the alternator to be able to give you both light, heat and maybe run the vipers as well without leaving you with a dead battery the next morning! So check the watt output and the wiring , let off the accelerator at night and drive safe Calle, -88 Vanagon