Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Apr 1998 01:00:53 EDT
From:         CanineWolf <CanineWolf@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: what do you look for?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

To check about the head leaks. Sometimes you cannot see the as in my case where it was all internal until I was rearended and all the coolant hit the ground!! I was told from the vw place that resealed my heads that it had been leaking for 10-20k now thats awhile but there wasnt much pitting from it and I have not had any problems since they've been resealed and its been over 40k. Ask the previous owner how often they add coolant..if they are truthful this could tell you that there is a leak. When I bought mine I did not know anything about vw's and I was told that he needed to add coolant about every month or so because it would slowly go from max to min. Aslo I think about every 100k is the average for head leaks but some are as low as 80k or less!!

On the westy deal I'd say just make sure everything works and all your seals/screens/westy gear is good. There was a place in Reno Nevada that was selling syncro westy's for 16k with resealed heads and a new water pump. He was flexible on the price. He also had other westy for sale too....NO rust, Resealed Heads, and a new water pump is good to have when buying a watercooled vanagon also the it was VW shop that one of the list members goes to so you know its a good shop=)....look into the archives for a email with a subject 8 westys for sale.

Hope that helped

Tim G 87 gl syncro (164k)