Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Apr 1998 14:22:27 -0500
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <bloss@mailman.enter.net>
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>
Subject:      using Extend to fight rust
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

I spent a good part of the day yesterday surveying the rust damage done by old man winter and PennDOT salting. I finally fixed a big rust area under the rear bumper left by DPO.

Anyway, listmember Wendy Silva turned me on to this Extend stuff sold in various shapes and forms (I got the 8oz or so bottle). It's supposed to turn rust into a hard black paintable surface. There's some info about past experience in the archives as well

I tried it on several spots on the van after using a grinder and brass brush on the really hard and crusty areas. I just used a small paintbrush and put 2 coats on like they tell you.

I found it to work particularly well on coarse stuff like the jack mounts and the tow hooks. The tow hooks just has surface rust and some rust at the welded joints. The Extend made them look pretty much as new since they're supposed to be black.

Grinding to the metal and filling may be better in the long term, but we'll see how long this lasts.

-Karl Karl and Kristina Bloss, Trexlertown, PA '87 GL Weekender "Beverley" VW shop list: http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/vwshops