Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Apr 1998 00:36:19 -0400
From:         J Frank Hammontree <jhammont@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      My Digifant Opinion
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

> <<Foxes are junk and worthless. stick with Digifant, > 89 or newer. It's a very simple fuel injection system and they run smoother > than the CIS cars.

Just to throw my 2 cents into the pot, I believe the Digifant is one of the Biggest piece of Crap systems ever made. But then again I own a vehicle with the Digifant system and I love that van with all my heart, when it runs properly. My Digifant computer recently went out on my 86 Vanagon. VW wants over $700 for the computer and My parts dealer told me he would sell it to me at his cost, which was $440. I pmailed several people on the list who are parting out vanagons and the general response was, "Thats not for sale, I've read about all the problems with the Digifant and I don't want to buy one myself."

The problem with the Digifant is that VW tried to intergrade the ignition system with the injection system. So if you have a problem with one system you often can have a problem with the other. This can make things extremely frustrating when you are trying isolate an electrical problem. If you think mechanical work is expensive, look into the prices for electricl work. This has been proven to be the case and therefore the DigifantII was born. The DigifantII is basicly the same as the original Digifant, but with the incorporation of the CIS's ignition control unit. This is used to try to separate the ignition and fuel systems. I am not a huge fan on the DigifantII but it is better than the original Digifant. The Digijet(CIS-E) is the most troublefree system.

As for the Fox, I would not be afraid to own one. It is a great economical VW...if that is possible, but the Jetta would be my choice over the Fox. Anyhow this is just my opinion and goodluck to everyone.

David Hammontree