Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Apr 1998 02:32:52 -0600
From:         "Gerald V. Livingston lI" <GVL@141.COM>
Subject:      Re: crud in the gas tank....(tech question)
Comments: To: JordanVw <JordanVw@aol.com>,
          vanagon@vanagon.com, aircldvw@CC.OWU.EDU

Had this problem on a 72 bus. On a beetle I would suggest spending the 15 minutes required to pull the tank and have it cleaned. On the bus, however, it would take more than 15 minutes.

Go to your FLAPS and purchase a good bit of new rubber fuel line of the proper size and a handful of hose clamps small enought to hold it. Also buy several (at least a dozen) of those cheap plastic inline fuel filters. The clear ones are best for this job. First, remove the line nearest the tank and using a decent length of old fuel line drain the gas tank into a suitable container. This fuel is NOT to be re-used. Then,s Starting with the section of old rubber nearest the tank, begin replacing the old fuel line with the new. As you go along, choose FOUR (4) easily accessible places between the tank and the fuel pump and install these filters. Then install one more betwen the pump and the carb. Now refill the tank with clean fuel and go on about your business.

Check the filters at least weekly. I had to replace the one nearest the tank every week for three months, and the net 2 filters in the line almost every two weeks. The fourth filter stayed clean throughout the operation, as did the one between the pump and carb. After three months, the necod and third filters stayed clean and I replaced the one nearest the tank only twice over the next 6 or 7 months. When I decided to do a little clean up work on the bus after that, I just went back to a straight through fuel line with one filter before the pump, and one after.

On 26 Apr 98 at 18:58, JordanVw wrote:

> this is pertaining to a type 4 engined late bus ('72-'79) but is > relavent question to all vehicles. > > vehicle has been sitting awhile w/ no gas cap. > there is rust particulate in the bottom of the tank, and it is > blocking jets in the carbs. > > what, besides dropping the engine, and pulling the tank, are other > ideas? i was thinking about removing the nut where the fuel line > comes out of the tank, and flushing the tank. ideas? > > thanks.

Gerald V. Livingston II

'69 Bug -- AirBall