Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:29:00 +0100
From:         Jodi Sage <Jodi.Sage@MCI.COM>
Subject:      Using Aux Batt for CD Changer
Comments: To: Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Hello! I've been on the list for approximately 8 months, and have found the posting and archives exceptionally informative and useful. Past posting have provided me information on tire recommendations, cost of exhaust systems, how to fix/tighten the outside mirrors, and repairing rusty spots to name a few. Now I have a question(s)...

Design Issue:

I'm considering installing a Remote FM CD changer in my '85 Wolfsburg Weekender Westy, using the aux battery as the power source. Ideally I'll have the store installers do the actual installation of the CD changer (probably sitting vertically behind the drivers seat). My questions are on how to implement the design. (You bet, I did research the archives/FAQ files looking for answers/instructions with some luck and ultimately alot of confusion.)

What I do know: 1.) I don't use the dometic frig...I took it out, to small for my needs and I don't have a sink so I don't need a water pump. 2.) Under the drivers seat there are cables/terminals for a battery. 3.) Automatively challenged - basic maintenance is pretty much my speed.

Design Requirements: 1.) I want to maintain the ability to charge both batteries while driving (per the VW owners manual suppliment: camper "wolfburg edition" this is what should be happening already). 2.) I don't want to discharge the primary battery when the engine is not running. Manual is a little vague on this. 3.) Keep it simple

Questions for the experts:

1a.) Will I need a relay, switch, diode etc? (In a posting dated 14Mar96 it sounds like a relay would be a darn smart idea, to prevent discharging both batteries.) OR

1b.) As I already have the cabling/terminal under the drivers seat do I already have an isolated battery? (posting dated 16Nov95 indicates that WWWs came from the factory like this.)

2.) How do I run the additional power line for the cd changer?

3.) Can I add the cd changer to the aux battery and not lose the ability of the 12 volt socket to charge my cell phone?

4.) The battery dimensions are important, so I'll need a deep cell battery (sealed) for use in either a marine or wheel chair application. Does this still hold true?

Regards, Jodi