Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Apr 1998 15:08:21 -0700
From:         jim catterson <termite@ROCKETMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: HiPo lights?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

===

---Joshua Van Tol wrote: > > Actually, those "high performance" bulbs are a poor idea because the > connectors will melt under the increased amperage. Not only that, the beam > pattern on those babies is so poor that it won't make much difference > anyway. Even if you could get a metal based 9004 style bulb with larger > connectors (which you can't) the housings of those rectangular lights are > usually plastic, which will melt. > > I have 7" circular Bosch e-code motorcycle lights on my '85 vanagon, and > they work very well. The lenses are of glass and metal construction, and > the bulbs have no plastic. They are 65/100. On high they get HOT. BTW, the > reason for using motorcycle lenses is that they have no provision for city > lights, and they were real cheap due to an ordering mistake by the parts > guy. > > If you don't beleive me, check out this excellent lighting FAQ by Stern > Lighting. http://lighting.mbz.org/faq/, and when you're through, check out > their main page at: http://lighting.mbz.org > > I've never dealt with these people, have no affiliation, etc, but they do > have the straight dope on lighting, so I strongly suspect they are ok.

not to start a massive thread on this but in my experience, the higher wattage bulbs were a massive improvement in both range and pattern. i have checked the connectors several times since installation and have yet to find any damage, heat related or otherwise. as long as you wire in a relay, problems should be nonexistent. having owned over 35 cars of various pedigree from 356 speedsters to a recent volvo turbo wagen, and having converted almost all of the headlights to higher wattage, i feel that i have a large enough field for comparison. have yet to experience a bulb related problem (okay, on one 64 356 sc the generator light refused to ever go off below 3000 rpm!). i read the stern lighting faq and found a large percentage of it to be hogwash. an example of which is the reference to melting plastic lenses w/ high wattage. most modern lenses that i have encountered are lexan which will not melt (my 91 explorer is proof of that w/ 55/110 for 3 yrs). sorry for the length of this but FWIW some empirical evidence rather than old wives tales