Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:27:24 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Wasserboxer Distributor into A/C 2.0
Comments: To: Jack Maynard <maynardj@peak.org>, Type 2 List <type2@type2.com>,
          Vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Help!!! Why didn't this work?

Well Jack, I said that I'd keep you up to date on the ATTEMPT to put a wasserboxer distributor into a 2.0 a/c motor. Tried it today. First the gotchas. 1. to install the a/c vacuum advance to the hall effect distributor one must drill a couple of holes in the Vac. unit. Turns out that the w/c advance unit has 4 holes and the a/c unit has 2. Naturally, the a/c unit's holes are diagonally opposite from the w/c unit. Small task. 2. The #1 scribe mark is located 90 deg. from the a/c unit. I can move wires...

Now the installation... (used both Vanagon & '68-'79 Type 2 Bentley wiring diagrams) Have the Vanagon harness.

Drops in. Rev limiting rotor fits. Hall brain bolts to spare tyre well with idle stablizer. Ground goes to case. Hook white wire from ECU to hall brain white wire, hook green wire from hall brain to coil, hook black wire from 12v to hall brain black. Attempt to start. Awesome backfire! Oh yeah, three is the front plug four is the rear. Swap wires. No start. Move white wire from ECU (that was hooked to the hall unit white) back to coil points side. Starts, but runs v. rich. Decide to call it a day and pop the original dist back into the motor. We'll try again another day... at this point I'm not sure exactly why it didn't work. There is someone down in the Sacto area that supposedly has them running. I'll x-post to both vanagon and type2 to see if they'll respond.

Jim Union, OR