Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:46:49 -0600
From:         Stephen Jones <sjones@TETONDATA.COM>
Subject:      Trip Report - Jackson, WY to Moab, UT (and Questions)
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi All, I just returned from the yearly Spring pilgrimage to Moab. This was my first major vacation in the '87 Westy, so I got to know her well. Amazing the things you learn about your vehicle on a trip like this.

Basics first, I spent 10 days in Moab, Mtn. biking. 4 days in the Canyonlands backcountry on the White Rim trail. 5 days biking around Moab, 1 rest day. We camped down the Potash road on the CO river. After the first 2-3 nights, I finally got used to the huge Potash trucks going by every hour. If anyone is headed to Moab, be aware, most of the free camping spots along the river have been converted to pay spots.

Was anyone on the list in Moab over the past two weeks? I saw a _lot_ of Westy's and Vanagons. Westy's are an amazing conversation piece. Many a conversation started over the van. I talked to one guy whose girlfriend owned a Westy that has/had a intermittant stalling/bucking problem. Based on knowledge from the list, I diagnosed it as the wiring harness problem. I don't know if this was actually the problem, but it's just amazing the things you learn from this list.

Now for my problems/questions:

1. After this trip, my pop-top seal is shot. I would love to hear experiences, negative and positive, about replacing this seal. I was planning on going with a replacement from the Bus Depot.

2. My gas tank now leaks when it is full. I am assuming that this is the problem where the plastic fittings at the top of the tank crack. Is this a problem that can be lived with? How expensive would a fix be?

3. A number of people have complained about the problem where the O2 and Battery light come on until you step on the gas. In Jackson, I have this problem, but in Moab it went away (until I returned). As far as I know, no one has solved this (minor) problem. Could it be altitude? That is the only difference I can think of.

4. I have had multiple electical failures in my driver side door. I fixed them by running new wire, but I think I have found the source of the problem. This will be tough to describe, but I will try. On my passenger side door, the hose (?) that the wires run through is connected on both ends. Opening the door stretches the hose, closing causes the hose to contract on itself. On the drivers side door, the upper portion of the hose is not connected, thus when the door shuts it collapses on itself and the wires get bent. Now, the area where this hose is located is very tight. Has anyone replaced this item or fixed a problem in this area? It appears that you would have to remove a significant portion of the fuse box and associated wiring to access this area. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions appreciated.

5. Any thoughts for cleaning sand out of the sliding door mechanism?

All in all, it was a great trip, and the Westy significantly contributed to it. Thanks for any assistance.

Stephen Jones '87 Westy Jackson, WY