Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:10:23 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: CRASH WORTHY??

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:56:43 -0600 rob wilke said: >A few weeks ago someone was bragging about his vangon taking out a >Volvo. It made me wonder how safe are these boxes of delight?? Consumers

well, my insurance company, USAA, rated the Vanagon as "F" (failed" in a frontal crash ... no big surprise there: no front end! :) but they give me a "safe car discount" ... it seems they found out from their statistics that the Vanagon is indeed a rather safe vehicle, as it has a VERY heavy frame underneath and all the driver and passengers sit ABOVE the bumpers of the car that hits you. and most wrecks are side-impact or angle-impact, not frontal crashes.

my personal feeling is that if all these SUV's are soooo save (and soooo dangerous to OTHER cars!!), then the Vanagon should be almost as safe, cause we sit slightly HIGHER than most SUV's and have at least as big and heavy a frame. now, we do NOT have a big engine sitting in front of us, and we don't have airbags, but IF we are careful and USE the great visibility we have, we hopefully will be able to avoid finding out how safe they are. :)

>reports had rather nasty things to say about our beloved Vanagons. so I

i wouldn't trust Consumers Reports any farther than i can throw their testing lab. yes, i'm sure they do lots of good things for folks who don't want to have their own opinions, BUT Ralphie Nader and i fell out over the Beetle and his book "Unsafe at any speed", where he completely lied about some "tests" and fabricated other "data" to support his claims of the Beetle's lack of safety. no, i'm not saying the beetle was the safest car on the road, especially if you hit it with a Cadillac! but when you make a statement like "The VW Microbus was the most unsafe van tested by the North Carolina Highway Department ..." and then you find out that the VW Bus was the ONLY van tested by NCHD, well, it kinda makes me wonder just where this clown learned how to use statistics. cause the way *I* read it, the VW Bus was the SAFEST van tested by NC. :) like Mark Twain said, figures don't lie, but liars figure!!

anyway, sorry for that tangent, but the mere mention of Consumers Reports does that to me! if you go back to their original test of the 1980 Vanagon, they actually liked it ... even though they remarked that the "placement of the steering column prevents the driver from using his left foot on the brake." ???? excuse me?? when i was taught how to drive, it was stressed that ONLY the RIGHT foot was to be used for braking ... so you had to take your foot OFF the gas to put it ON the brake. anyway, i thought that was a really stupid thing for them to write. they also showed pictures of some idiot having difficulty gettin into the bus... cause he stepped up with his LEFT foot first (into the driver's side) and wondered why his right leg didn't fit! :) i never had a problem with that at all ... i put my RIGHT foot up first, and it works fine.

anyway, i think they are idiots, at least as relates to the Vanagon (can you tell??), and you are welcome to any differing opinions. :) but at least they should make you THINK about something before you buy it. ;)

>sas wondering if the Projectzwo Bull bars would help in a major impact >or would the unibody construction render the big ass bullbars useless???

i don't think it would be useless, but it would depend on the size and strength of the bolts attaching the bull bars to the frame. big heavy strong bolts and the bull bars would take some punishment. small bolts and the bolts might shear off, making the bull bars just some additional impact material. :(

i guess the whole point of this ranting really is that NO "old car" will ever be as "safe" as the new ones coming out next year. if you young pups could have seen what we used to ride around in back in the 40's and 50's, even the high-priced $3000 Cadillacs!!, you'd be amazed at how ANYbody survived those decades. DRUM brakes all around, NO seatbelts or airbags, sharp pointed steering columns aimed right at your breastbone, bench seats with slippery vinyl covers on the front seats, column-mounted 3-speed gear shifting, windshield wipers that were controlled by the engine vacuum (so the only time they worked fast enough to be able to see was when you were speeding down the highway at 50 mph!!). and headlights?? ha!! if you could see two car-lengths ahead in the dark, you were in a brand new car! :) taillights?? oh, yeah ... that dimly glowing coal on the rear end of your 4000-lb rounabout. yup. only ONE was required.

and any time you put an Old car against a New car, or anything bigger than itself, you'll lose. maybe not lose badly, but you'll lose. one of my favorite stories was the VW dealer in New Jersey who got mad at Ralph Nader and the folks who crashed Cadillacs into VW Beetles and talked about how unsafe the Beetle was. well, the dealer was also a Mack Truck dealer ... so he smashed a Mack Truck into a Cadillac ... guess what? :) the Cadillac was completely smashed ... and the Mack Truck had a dented bumper. :)

the trick to driving ANY vehicle is PREVENTING an accident in the first place. Drive INattention is the leading cause of accidents in ALL countries. talking on the cell phone, drinking coffee (Mercedes and Porsche for years refused to put cup holders in their cars ... because they thought the driver had no business drinking anything while he was driving!), or reading a newspaper or book (like i have seen on the interstates) ... all these things are distractions and take away valuable seconds that might have been used in slowing down or swerving to avoid a collision. and the better you can see out of a car, the better off you are. except converibles. :)

now, what was the original question again?? :)

joel (musta been something in that biscuit this morning!)