Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:08:52 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer Distributor into A/C 2.0
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

> If you mean a 2.1 digifant distributor then check if there is any centrifigual > advanve mechanism. I believe these later dist's had all the timing done by the > ECU. If true you will never get this to work right. >

Sigh.

Look at the Bentley manual folks! There is almost no difference between the 1983-1985 Digijet ignition system and the 2.0 airboxer for California. Don't have a Bentley? Buy one from one of the vendors on the list -- and get the FI Bentley while you're at it -- best "tools" you can own, even if somebody else does all the work on your van (just leave the books sitting in the back...)

You *cannot* swap the distributor, ignitor and stabilizer -- you must also take the *coil*. This coil is very different from the points version. You can take the whole shebang -- coil, distributor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignitor *and* stabilizer and get a very nice Hall-effect electronic ingnition -- for *any* VW airboxer.

This distributor has both vacuum advance and retard, but you can leave the retard off should you so choose, but be aware that there is more vacuum advance on the hall unit.

Points Version California '80-'83 Waterboxer '83-85 Distributor 022-905-205S 039-905-205C 025-905-205D Cent Adv 21-25 @ 3400 21-25 @ 3400 21-25 @ 3800 Vac Adv 8-12 @ 266 mbar 9-12 @ 266 mbar 12-16 @ 360 mbar Vac Ret none 11-13 @ 266 mbar 9-11 @ 360 mbar

The distributors off the Digifant Vanagons are not applicable -- there is no easy way to install these and there is no advance at all in the unit.

The parts for these are breathtaking in cost, but most parts are the same as used in Golfs, etc. during the mid-80s, so you can find the ignitors and coils reasonably at wrecking yards. The Hall sending unit is $$$$, the coils about $80... It is possible to use the coil/wires/distributor cap from the later Digifant, which gives you the really nice spark-plug wires (and really expensive ones...). These have a different connector at the cap and coil ends of the wires.

The system will work in any airboxer, although the distributor might have to be rotated oddly to get the vacuum can to fit. On TypeI engines, the late timing on #3 will be gone, which may or may not trouble you.

Malcolm