Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:27:17 -0700
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran.inc@INTERNETMCI.COM>
Subject:      Auto Club Mobile Engine Diagnosis Service
Comments: To: Vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Listees,

In about five hours (4 pm, Pacific time) I present my 84 Westy to the Automobile Club of Southern California for the Club's MED (Mobile Engine Diagnosis) Check. For $52.50, "members get an engine diagnosis and Plus a Car Check." The Car Check is the the usual procedures I do myself:: lights, belts, hoses, lubricant levels, battery&cables, tires, radiator, air filter&exhaust systems and windshield wipers.

The MED includes, "battery/charging system, starter cranking system, ignition system, cylinder power, fuel injection/carburetor performance, emission levels."

I read today the posts of Karl Bloss and Ron Salmon in respect to hot engines and compression tests. Thanks for those insights. I'll run my Westy for a half hour even though the Auto Club lot in which the tests will be made is about a mile from my home.

Does anyone have any comments, caveats, suggestions or other insights about these procedures?

Auto Club of SO CA is a highly-qualified and recognized outfit. Its labs both tests and verifies tests for the State and its emissions laws and for acceptability of engine re-dos such as Kennedy, among others, as I understand it.

Ron Paden, one of the Club's test officials, gave me a method to help simplify coolant changes and to get the "air" out using a long length of vinyl hose from the radiator bleeder valve to the coolant (expansion tank?), the one with the "min" and "max" indicators. I'll post that when I get time.

In the meantime, please review the foregoing, and post, publicly, as requested.

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA 84 Westy